Welcome to our Appliance Challenge!
For over 6 years now we’ve been helping homeowners solve all sorts of appliance issues. Over that time, we’ve realized just how much money many of our readers are losing each month. Money that you could easily be saving.
To help save everyone thousands of dollars we’ve put together this challenge.
It’s a series of guides that will walk you through all the best tips and tricks to minimize your energy bills and maximise the lifespan of your appliances.
How much could these guides save you?
I worked out the estimated potential savings, and quite honestly, you won’t believe me when I tell you.
First, let me walk you through the math. Because if I just say the total savings these guides will offer, you’ll laugh.
Here’s how we estimate how much these guides will save you:
- We looked the average lifespan for each major home appliance, and the average cost of a new one.
- We then assume that if these guides take your appliance from a shorter lifespan to a longer one, each added year will save you the yearly cost of paying for a new appliance. (i.e. if something costs $1,000 and lasts for 10 years, you roughly pay $100/year for it. If you perform maintenance and it lasts 15 years instead, you’ve saved yourself $100/year for 5 years = $500 total).
- We then looked at the average annual energy bills for each appliance. We assumed that by following good care and maintenance, you would take your bills from the higher end down to the lower end.
- Then we added that all up for each year, and in total.
Okay, enough stalling. Are you ready for the total number?
In total, we estimate that following these guides once a year can save you up to $12,000!
Yes, you read that right.
Here’s our estimates:
We estimate that these guides can save you up to $1,371 per year, and $12,885 in total (over 10 years or so).
The Appliance Challenge: Explained
This whole challenge started when I wondered what the cost of BAD maintenance is when it comes to appliances.
How much do you save if you maintain your air conditioner properly, vs forgetting about it?
As you can see, the result is staggering!
To help, I’ve put together this series of guides for each of those main appliances above. Each guide will walk you through:
- Essential tips to get the most out of your appliances and HVAC systems
- Simple habits to follow that lower your bills and increase the lifespan of your appliances
- Easy maintenance tasks to follow once or twice a year, that will prevent any breakdowns or issues.
But How Long Will All Of This Take?
You might be looking at all this thinking:
“I don’t have the time to do all of this! It’s going to take me weeks!”
Thankfully, all of this is easy. Really!
It’s just that no-one ever tells us to do these things. Or at least, they never put them all in one place.
We estimate that all of our guides can be followed in under a day.
It would be a hard day’s work, sure. But if I offered to pay you over $1,000 for a day’s work, would you take it? I sure would!
If that all sounds good, then let’s dive in.
Let’s Get Started
Our guides are written so that you can follow them in any order you want.
If you know that a certain appliance needs some overdue care and maintenance, then prioritize that one first. Otherwise, you could follow each guide in order. I’ve organized the guides to put the ones with the biggest impact first.
And don’t worry. Each page has plenty of navigation to let you jump back to this page so you can visit the other guides.
Tip: Now might be a great time to bookmark this page so you can return to it in future.
Appliance Challenge: The Guides
We’re still working hard to finish these guides, and upgrade others.
Here are the live challenges so far:
- Dishwasher Challenge
- Dryer Challenge
- Freezer Challenge
- Furnace Challenge
- Oven Challenge
- Refrigerator Challenge
- Washer Challenge
We’re working hard on the finishing touches of our guides. We don’t want to release them until everything has been reviewed and approved by our expert reviewers, so they’re not quite live yet.
If you’d like to be notified when they’re released – make sure to sign up for our email list below. Our subscribers will be the first to know when we’ve put these money-saving guides live.