Dishwasher Door Locked? Here’s 4 Tips To Unlock It
Meta Description: Is the door to your dishwasher locked? If so, here are a few tips to get it open. Learn more about locked dishwasher doors below!
You rely on your dishwasher to take care of your dishes. Therefore, it can be frustrating when your dishwasher door will not open. Sometimes, it may even feel like a vending machine that is eating your money that will not give you what you want. Of course, you need to get your dishes out of the dishwasher, so how can you do so?
There are several ways you can get your dishwasher door open, but it depends on the type of dishwasher you have. You may need to find a control lock or hold button, using this to unlock a dishwasher door. Or, you may need to find a child lock that could be keeping your dishwasher locked.
Before you can get your dishwasher door open, you also have to figure out why your dishwasher is not opening. What do you need to know about unlocking a locked dishwasher? We have done our research, so take a look at what we have discovered. That way, you can get your dishes back from your dishwasher!
Why Is Your Dishwasher Locked?
It is important to take a closer look at a few reasons why your dishwasher door might not be opening. There are several possible reasons why your dishwasher might still be locked. These include:
- The Electronic Control System Is Stuck: There could be a problem with the electronic control system. A lot of dishwasher doors are engaged electronically. If the electronic control system has become overwhelmed, or if it has gotten stuck in some way, then it may not be listening to your commands. If the electronic control system is permanently engaged, you may have a difficult time unlocking your dishwasher. To fix this issue, you may need to reset the electronic control system.
- There Is a Failure of the Door Handle Mechanism: When you press the handle of your dishwasher door, there is a door handle mechanism that is supposed to engage, opening the dishwasher door. Similar to other parts and other machines, the door handle mechanism can fail with time. If you squeeze the handle, and it feels a bit later than normal, then this could be a sign that the door handle mechanism has failed. Before you start messing with the door handle mechanism, you need to think about the warranty of your dishwasher. You do not want to void the warranty if you start messing with the door handle mechanism.
- The Door Latch Is Broken: There is also a chance that the door latch itself is broken. If the door latch is worn down, then your dishwasher may remain locked in place. As a result, the wash cycle will not begin. A working door latch is important because it prevents the dishwasher from leaking all over the kitchen. If there is something wrong with the door latch, you may need to get a new door latch assembly system. This can be expensive, so you need to think about the price of your dishwasher before you replace the door latch.
- The Door Hinge Is Not Working: Your dishwasher door has a set of hinges on it. It needs to work properly if you want your dishwasher to open and close easily. If there is something wrong with the hinges on your doors, then it may be preventing your dishwasher door from opening. In general, dishwasher door hinges are attached to a spring. Then, they pivot on a pin. This allows your door to open and close. You probably should not mess with the door hinges to your dishwasher on your own. This could carry specific implications for your warranty.
- The Door Striker Is Stuck: There could also be an issue with the door striker. Your door latch links to the striker, closing your dishwasher door. If the striker system has become stuck, then it may not disengage the door latch. As a result, your dishwasher door is not going to open. You might need to replace the striker system to fix this issue. This can also be expensive, so you need to think about whether this is worth it or not.
These are just a few of the many reasons why your dishwasher might still be locked. You need to make sure you address these issues if you want your dishwasher door to unlock. So, what do you need to do if there is something wrong with your dishwasher door?
Handling a Locked Dishwasher: The First Steps
Before you get frustrated, it is important to think about a few easy steps. No matter what type of dishwasher you have, you need to follow these steps below. You may find that unlocking a locked dishwasher is easier than you thought.
The first few steps you need to follow include:
- Make Sure the Power Source Is Connected: The vast majority of dishwashers use an electronic program today. Therefore, you have to make sure the power source is connected to your dishwasher. If your dishwasher does not have any electricity, then the door is not going to open. There are some situations where the power source may be interrupted during a cycle. In this case, the door is going to automatically lock to prevent the dishwasher from leaking. You may need to check the power source and restart the machine if you want your dishwasher to unlock.
- Make Sure the Water Source Is Connected: Next, you also need to make sure the water source has been connected appropriately. If your dishwasher does not have any water pressure, then it may not be functioning correctly. As a result, your dishwasher might not be engaged due to a fault with the water source. Take a look at the water source and make sure it is connected appropriately to the dishwasher.
- Take a Look at the Control Panel: Finally, you should also take a look at the control panel. Sometimes, there may be an unintended control lock that has been activated. Take a look at the control panel and make sure the light switch showing the lock has been activated. If it has, then you need to inactivate it if you want to unlock the dishwasher.
If you have followed the steps and your dishwasher is still not opening, it is time to take a look at some instructions that are specific to the brand of dishwasher you have.
Unlocking a Locked Dishwasher: By Brand
Depending on the specific type of dishwasher you have, there is a different set of steps you need to follow. We will go through a few popular brand dishwashers, explaining how to reset the locking system, so you can unlock the door. A few popular brands of dishwashers include:
If you have a KitchenAid dishwasher, the first thing you need to do is take a look at the control panel. Try to find the key that says “Control Lock and Hold.” Once you find this key, you need to hold it down for 3 seconds. Then, you should release it.
If you do not find the button listed above, you need to locate other possible buttons including “Four Hour Delay,” “Bottle Wash,” or “Pro Scrub Upper.” If you locate any of these buttons, you should press them, hold them for three seconds, and then release them.
After you do this, the lock light switch should disengage. Then, you can resume your cycle or open the dishwasher door.
If you have a Whirlpool dishwasher, the steps are similar. You need to find the key that says “Control Lock and Hold.” Once you locate this key, you need to press it down for 3 seconds. Then, release it.
If you do not find the button listed above, you need to locate other possible buttons including “Four Hour Delay,” “Sani Rinse,” “Bottle Wash,” or “Pro Scrub Upper.” If you find any of these buttons, you should press them, hold them for three seconds, and release them.
After you complete this step, the lock light switch should release. After, you can resume your cycle or open the dishwasher door.
If you have a Maytag dishwasher, you should see the control lock light flash if you attempt to put any other button. If you see the light flashing, you need to try to find a button that has a red or green lock icon.
After you find this icon, you should press that specific button and hold it for 3 seconds. After this, release the button. It should unlock the control panel, allowing you to either finish your cycle or open the dishwasher door.
If you have a Bosch dishwasher, you need to find a symbol that says “CL,” which stands for child lock. This is a sign of a child lock is on. You should press and hold the start button for five seconds. Then, release the button, disengaging the child lock. This is one of the most common reasons why this dishwasher will not open, so it should be enough to fix the issue.
If this is not enough, the next thing you should do is find the RPM or “Finished In” buttons. Press them both at the same time for 3 seconds. Wait for them to beep, and the dishwasher door should open.
These are a few of the most common examples of dishwasher makes and models. If you still have questions about how to unlock the door to your dishwasher, you might want to reach out to a professional who can help you.
Unlock a Locked Dishwasher with These Steps
It can be frustrating if you have a dishwasher that will not unlock. In general, you need to find a certain button, such as the lock button, and hold it for a few seconds. This should be enough to flush the commands out of the system, allowing you to unlock the dishwasher.
If there is a part that is broken in your dishwasher, you should think about how expensive it is to replace the part, comparing this to the price of the dishwasher.
I hope you have enjoyed this detailed guide, so take a look at a few related articles below to learn more!