Are the drinks in your mini-fridge barely chilled, or even worse, lukewarm? Then you’ll find 7 tips to help your mini-fridge get colder in this article.
Do the following to help your mini-fridge get colder in heat
- Keep it out of direct sunlight
- Set it away from any heat-producing appliances
- Take it off a carpeted surface
- Clean the condenser coils
- Keep a gap between the rear and the wall
- Change the settings
- Store items cool
There are lots of things you can do to help reduce the temperature of your mini-fridge. Take a look at these steps in more detail next.
There is nothing like relaxing with an ice-cold drink on a hot day. But what if the heat of your room is affecting the temperature inside your mini-fridge? Tepid drinks are not something that we are going to put up with. That’s why this article is jammed packed full of tips that will help you cool your mini-fridge down again. Take a look.
The temperature inside your mini-fridge can alter 5 degrees higher or lower than the set point. This happens when you keep it in an extremely hot or cold environment. To stop your mini-fridge from being too hot, you should keep it out of direct sunlight.
If your mini-fridge is in a small room that gets quite hot, consider the following solutions.
- Installing blackout blinds or curtains. These will stop the room from overheating.
- Keeping windows and doors closed on very hot days
- Moving the mini-fridge out of direct sunlight
- Keeping the room cool using a cooling system such as air conditioning
Is your mini-fridge placed in a room that gets quite hot during the day? Then you will have to do a few things to keep the temperature in your fridge ideal for cooling drinks and snacks.
You should keep your mini-fridge away from any heat-producing appliance. This is to stop the appliance from heating the mini-fridge and making it work harder.
You should keep your mini-fridge away from any of the following appliances.
- Central heating such as a radiator
Does your mini-fridge struggle to keep cool? Then part of the culprit could be what the unit is sat on. If your mini-fridge is sat on top of a rug on the floor, remove the rug from under it. This will allow the air to flow better to the cooling compartments of the fridge. This will allow it to regulate its temperature better.
Carpet is made to insulate the ground above it. So, if there is carpet underneath your mini-fridge, you should consider removing it. If that’s not possible, you can try placing your mini-fridge on a shelf above the ground.
The condenser coils on your mini-fridge help to control its temperature. If your condenser coils are covered in dust or dirt, this could insulate them. The insulation will make it harder for your fridge to keep cool. This will inevitably raise its internal temperature.
You should clean the condenser coils on your mini-fridge once or twice a year. This will make sure that the fridge continues to work as well as possible.
What can you do if you’re not sure how to clean your fridge’s condenser coils? Take a look at the following instructions. First of all, here comes a list of the tools you’ll need for the job.
You Will Need
- Vacuum with brush head attachment
- Microfiber dusting cloth
Once you’ve gathered your tools, take a look at the steps below.
- Plug the mini-fridge out at the mains
- Take the access panel off of the back of the unit. You can use a screwdriver for this job.
- Use a brush vacuum attachment to clean the dust and dirt from the condenser coils
- Use a duster to remove the dust from the harder-to-reach areas
- Use the screwdriver to put the access panel back on the fridge
- Plug the mini-fridge back in at the mains
- Monitor the temperature of the mini-fridge after 8 hours
Another factor that can raise the temperature inside your fridge is its proximity to a wall. Your mini-fridge needs at least a 2-inch gap between the rear and the wall for it to cool properly. This gap promotes the good circulation of the air around the fridge. It also helps its cooling components do their job properly.
Your fridge should also have a gap on both sides to keep the air flowing. Try to keep a 2-inch gap between it and any other items in the room.
You should keep your refrigerator temperature at 40 degrees Fahrenheit. (4 degrees Celsius.) If the room your mini-fridge is in is particularly warm, you can also try changing the settings of the thermostat. This will lower the temperature inside the appliance.
You should be able to alter the settings in your mini-fridge in one of two places.
- On the front door of the appliance
- On the right-hand side inside the fridge
You can change some temperature settings by turning a dial. On newer mini-fridge models, you may be able to change the settings using an electronic keypad. On smart models, you may be able to control the temperature inside your mini-fridge using an app.
Here’s how you should change the settings in your mini-fridge.
- If the thermostat is set to low, turn it on high
- If the thermostat is set on 1 or 2, turn it up a couple of numbers then monitor the temperature inside for 8 hours. If the fridge still feels warm after this time, turn it up some more.
The temperature inside your fridge will undoubtedly be hotter if you store your items while they are still warm. So, if you want to keep your fridge as chilled as possible, you should allow your food and drink items time to cool down before you store them.
On all fridges the rules are the same. The higher the number, the colder the fridge temperature. This means that a fridge set on number 1 will be at its hottest. A fridge set at number 5 will be at its coolest.
If you keep your fridge in a warm room, you may need to put it on a cooler setting for it to chill your food sufficiently. If yours is currently set on a lower number, try turning it up.
When opening your mini-fridge on a scorching hot day, the last thing you want to find are tepid beverages. I’m sure the 7 tips in this article have helped you to make your mini-fridge get colder even if you keep it in a hot room.
Have a great day!