Have you got cloudy, dark spots on your LCD TV? Then you’ll find 6 ways to lift the smog around your screen in this article!
Here are some ways to remove cloudy dark spots from an LCD screen
- Clean the screen
- Adjust the backlight settings
- Turn the light sensor setting on
- Change the power saving setting to low or high
- Loosen the screws on the back of the TV
- Support the back of the TV
You don’t have to let pesky, cloudy, dark spots turn into the stars of each one of your TV shows. Coming up are more details on how you can remove the spots for good.
The 6 Ways to Remove Cloudy Dark Spots From Your LCD TV
They say that every cloud has a silver lining. But nothing good could come from the clouding and dark spots on your LCD TV screen. Coming up, you’ll see 6 tricks that will help you fix yours and get back to HD viewing.
#1 Clean the Screen
Removing the cloudy dark spots on your TV doesn’t have to be complicated. This is especially true if the spots have been caused by the following
- A build-up of dust
- Foreign matter stuck to the TV screen
In this case, cleaning the screen will restore it to its original condition. This will allow you to watch TV without any display issues.
Here’s how you can clean your TV screen without scratching it
- Turn the TV off and unplug it. (Never apply pressure to the TV screen while it is on).
- Use a 100% cotton or a microfiber cloth to wipe over the screen. Wipe in straight lines. Wipe from the top of the screen to the bottom.
- Apply light pressure in circular motions on any hard to remove smears
- Repeat step 2 until you have removed the cloudy spot
Fancy watching a how-to video? Then here’s a quick TV screen cleaning tutorial that will help you with your LCD.
What if you have tried cleaning your TV screen, but can still see the cloudy dark spots? Then make sure you take a look at the other tricks in this article that will help you.
The backlight on your LCD TV is set to make your screen as bright as possible. This usually works well in most TV viewing environments. But this could make TV viewing uncomfortable in the following situations
- You are watching TV in a dark room
- You are looking at the screen without a video input source
- The TV screen is blank and you are in a poorly lit room
Any of these situations could make the brightness of your TV seem uneven. This is often because the contrast between your environment and screen is too great. This may reveal screen clouding. So what can you do if your TV’s backlight settings are stopping you from enjoying HD entertainment?
These are the steps you need to adjust your TV’s backlight
- Press the “Menu” button on your TV
- Navigate to your picture settings
- Reduce the backlight setting in small increments. Do so until the screen clouding disappears or fades significantly.
- Test the screen when watching your normal programming. If it seems uncomfortably dark, turn the brightness up slightly.
Does your TV display seem unnecessarily bright when you are watching TV at night? Then this could be the main reason why you are seeing cloudy dark spots on your screen.
But what can fix the problem? The light sensor in your TV turns your TV’s brightness up and down according to the amount of light in the room. If it is dark in the room, the brightness should automatically reduce itself. If it is light in the room, the brightness should increase. This setting is supposed to give you that awesome cinematic experience no matter the time of the day.
If your TV’s automatic light sensor settings are off, you will need to turn them on. This could help you solve your cloudy screen issue.
Here is a way for you to fix the problem with your TV’s light sensor
- Press the “Menu” button on your TV remote
- Navigate to your picture settings or setup menu
- Click on your “Light Sensor” setting
- If the setting is off, turn it on
- Test the screen while watching TV with the lights on and the lights off. The clouding should disappear. If your TV’s brightness doesn’t seem to change when the lighting changes, there may be a problem with your sensor.
Adjusting your power-saving settings will also help with cloudy spots on your TV. Power-saving mode helps to save energy by reducing the brightness of your TV screen.
If your screen is showing cloudy spots, it might be helpful to turn the power-saving mode on. This may be extremely helpful when you are watching TV in a dark room. (Not to mention the fact that it will also help cut down your electric bill).
This is what you can do to change your power-saving settings
- Press the “Menu” button on your TV remote
- Navigate to your setup menu
- Select power-saving mode. Change the mode from “Low” to “High” or “High” to “Low”. This should balance out the screen.
- Test the screen while you are watching TV. The clouding should have disappeared.
Another reason why LCD TVs develop picture issues over time is that they are often over-tightened. This causes unevenness in the backlighting which presents itself as cloud patches on the screen.
How can you fix this problem? Grab a screwdriver and meet me at step .1
- Turn the TV off and unplug it at the mains
- Loosen the screws along the top rim of the back of the TV. Do not remove them, but give them a ¼ turn.
- Plug the TV back in and turn it on
- Test the screen for clouding. If it has not improved, turn the TV off and plug it out and retighten the screws.
The last thing to do is to make sure that your TV is well supported. The clouding issue could increase if your LCD TV moves around a lot or is transported often. You should set your TV somewhere it will not be moved about.
You can stabilize your TV in the following ways. If you have small children at home, try combining these methods.
- Tightening the screws on the base of your TV
- Placing your TV on top of a TV cabinet or stand
- Using a wall bracket to keep your TV in place
Are cloudy, dark spots getting in the way of your LCD TV screen? Then I am sure this article has shown you a few tricks you can use to clear it. These could save you money on a call-out charge or even a new TV!
Have a great day!